This post features my old fashioned cream wafer cookie recipe. This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission through these links at no additional cost to you.
Listen. I still can’t get over how gorgeous these old fashioned cream wafers turned out. It is no wonder these cookies were so popular at 1960’s and 1970’s wedding and baby showers. The light texture and sweet pastel colors make them perfect for parties.
These colorful sandwich cookies are easy to make and perfect for modern day parties, cookie trays, or simply after dinner dessert. Take a look below at my easy cream wafer cookies recipe, so you can give these yummy beauties a try.
Whether you are planning a shower or just want cookies for the holiday season, you will find that this cream wafer cookies recipe is ideal for any occasion!
First we will take a look at the actual wafer recipe. For these cookies, you will make the wafers first followed by the yummy filling. I found it easiest to make the filling while the wafers baked and cooled.
– 1 cup butter, softened
– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 1/3 cup whipping cream (NOT whipped cream like Cool Whip, but whipping cream in liquid form)
– 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
– small round cookie cutter (a set like this is ideal for cookie making)
1. Mix the softened butter, whipping cream, and flour. You are more than welcome to mix by hand. To make it easier on myself I use my stand mixer, mixing on medium speed for about 45 seconds.
2. Remove the mixture from the bowl and wrap it in wax paper. Chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Sprinkle flour on your work surface. Roll the dough out so it is approx. 1/8 inch thick. Don’t be afraid of rolling the dough thin!
5. Dip your cookie cutter in flour. Start cutting out your wafer shapes, transferring them to an ungreased baking sheet as you do.
6. Using a fork, gently press holes into the wafers as shown .
7. Sprinkle wafers lightly with granulated sugar before baking.
8. Bake wafers 9-10 minutes or until lightly golden and puffed.
8. Remove wafers from sheet and allow to cool. Now is a great time to work on your filling.
Yields 3 dozen
– 1/4 cup butter, softened
– 3/4 cups powdered sugar
– food coloring of choice (we used pink and green)
1. Mix the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Separate the filling into two bowls for coloring.
3. Add two drops of food coloring, mix well. Allow to chill for 10-15 minutes.
Now all you have to do is assemble the cookies. To make your cream wafers, just spread some of the frosting on one wafer and sandwich with a second wafer. Ta da! That’s it.
You don’t need a lot of frosting, in fact a little goes a long way. You don’t want it coming out of the sides of the wafers and making a mess. Just a dab will do.
When you are done, take a few minutes to admire these beauties. I love them!
Be sure to give this cream wafer cookie recipe a try! And while you are here, take a second to check out the other old fashioned cookie recipes I have been working on.
As you can see, I have a few for you to choose from!
– Old Fashioned Lemon Snowdrop Cookies
– Old Fashioned Butter Almond Cookies